Today you’re getting a list of the best portable dry herb vaporizers that you can currently get.
With over 50 portable vaporizers tested, reviewed and compared on metrics like:
- Vapor quality;
- Ease of use,
- And many more…
You can be sure you will find a portable vaporizer that perfectly matches your style and budget.
Don't want to waste your money by getting yet ANOTHER disappointing vaporizer? (don't worry, it happened to all of us)
Keep reading in the following sections:
- Quick Comparison Table of the Best Portable Vaporizers
- In-Depth Reviews of the Best Portable Vaporizers
- Portable Vaporizer Buyer's Guide
The 9 Best Portable Vaporizers For Dry Herb (Comparison Table)
- Most beastly portable vape: produces HUGE clouds. Best portable vape for heavy vapers.
- Most consistent vape: ALWAYS delivers superb vapor quality deep into your session.
- Official governmental medical certifications (safest portable vaporizer).
- Perfect beginner's vape: fool-proof, no draw-resistance, easy to maintain.
- Big, bulky and pricey.
- Needs at least 0.15 grams to function well. Not good for light vaping or micro-dosing.
#2 DaVinci IQ
- True pocket-vape: easily fits inside your pocket and feels lightweight.
- Best vapor quality of all pocket-vapes and conduction vapes. Gives a pure herb taste, except at high temperatures.
- Really ‘clicks' into your hand (ergonomic shape).
- Gets hot on high temp-settings and has slow charge-up time.
- Clouds are not that impressive and taste gets worse at high temps.
#3 Arizer Solo II
- Perfect balance between quality and price. Just amazing value.
- Extremely reliable vape: will last you many years + great daily driver.
- Hits like a truck while keeping great flavor.
- Amazing battery-life.
- Heavy and bulky, not a pocket-vape.
- Air-path not fully separated from electronics. Could be a potential health issue.
#4 DaVinci MIQRO
- Absolute smallest pocket-vape in the list: completely disappears in the palm of your hand.
- The small bowl makes it great for micro-dosing or light solo-vaping.
- Really ‘clicks' into your hand (ergonomic shape).
- Not good as a daily driver for heavy vapers because of its small bowl.
- Not as consistent as its bigger brother the DaVinci IQ. Sometimes you'll get wispy clouds.
#5 PAX 3
- True pocket-vape: easily fits inside your pocket and feels light.
- Its small size, 15 sec. heat-up time, and flat mouthpiece, mean you can vape without anyone ever noticing.
- Extremely reliable and sturdy (cannot break + 10-year warranty).
- Not very efficient (needs 0.15-0.2 grams to function well).
- Although it's a top-tier vape, the clouds won't hit you as hard as other top-tier vapes.
#6 Flowermate V5S
- Cheapest vape that still performs decently.
- Very easy to use.
- Vapor quality isn't the best.
- Draw-resistance above average and needs a good amount of herb to function well.
#7 Boundless CFX
- Hits like a truck (just as hard as our #1 vape: the MIGHTY).
- Very easy to use: a fool-proof vape.
- Very modest price for great quality.
- Not the best vapor quality (taste gets worse over time within your session) or efficiency (needs a good amount of herb to function well).
- Not a pocket-vape: large and bulky
#8 Firefly 2
- Best vapor quality: Purest tasting vapor that feels super-smooth on the throat.
- Extremely efficient: can produce decent vapor with pinches of herb (with 0.05 grams)
- Very easy to clean and maintain.
- High draw-resistance and has a learning curve (hard to get the same performance every time).
- Not good if you like big and impressive clouds.
- Smaller brother of our #1 vape: the MIGHTY, which means HUGE clouds.
- Most powerful vape that's still pocketable: fits inside your pocket and doesn't weigh too much.
- Super-consistent performance: produces the same amazing clouds deep into your session, every session.
- Battery-life sucks.
- The versions before 2017 have an above average defect-rate. You NEED the latest version.
The 9 Best Portable Vaporizers Reviewed In-Depth
Portable dry herb vaporizers are battery powered, cordless vaporizers you can use to vape marijuana.
If you ever plan to vape outdoors…or just want to be mobile while vaping…
They're the only choice you have.
And while their biggest advantage is that they're usable anywhere at any time…
They actually have a few more advantages:
- Small size;
- The possibility to be quick and stealthy.
These advantages come at a price though.
Most portable vapes are not as powerful as their desktop brothers…
But there are a few portable vaporizers which rival the performance of the most powerful desktop vaporizers.
And that's exactly one of the vaporizers that takes the number 1 spot in our list of best portable vaporizers.
Quick note: If you always vape from the comfort of your own home, it might be worth it to see our best desktop vaporizer list.
1. MIGHTY (Best Overall: Most Powerful & Consistent)
Which blows the average desktop vaporizer out of the water in terms of:
- Big, impressive clouds, and;
- Purity of flavor…
It HAS to be the MIGHTY Vaporizer.
And even though its smaller brother the CRAFTY (#9), is just as powerful…
The MIGHTY is just a more reliable device and a better long-term performer.
The power of this vape is tremendous:
It produces huge, dense and potent clouds that not only have the power to put you into couch-lock…
But taste so good…
ANY (ex-)smoker will be impressed by this vape.
The best part?
It does it with a consistency and ease that you won't find in any other portable vaporizer.
If you're a medical marijuana user, you'll be glad to know it's also the ONLY portable vaporizer with an official medical license.
But that's not the only peace of mind you get…
If you want a foolproof vape, you'll be happy to know that the MIGHTY:
- Has no learning curve: it's one of the easiest vaporizers to use;
- Has no draw resistance: pull clouds out of your MIGHTY effortlessly, and;
- Needs very little maintenance: no annoying and drawn-out cleaning sessions…
All these characteristics make it the perfect beginner's vape.
Within minutes, you'll be up and running…creating cloud after cloud, that will impress even the most skeptic smokers.
If you didn't know already:
The temperature you vape at has a large impact on the effects of your vapor…
A vaporizer with precise temperature control gives you more control over these effects.
As it turns out:
The MIGHTY has EXACTLY that.
You might be wondering:
Does this beast of a vaporizer has any downsides at all?
I would summarize the downsides in these 2 words:
- Size, and;
Even though it is a portable vaporizer…
It's too big to be a true pocket-vape.
And its price is high.
But if you're looking for a vaporizer that is going to blow your mind, guaranteed…
The MIGHTY is the vape you have to check out. I've never seen this vaporizer disappoint ANYONE!
It simply is the perfect portable vaporizer for:
- Medical marijuana users;
- Anyone new to vaping;
- Ex-smokers who need a hard-hitting vape, and;
- Anyone looking for an easy and reliable vaping experience.
Click the button below to go to the best deal for the MIGHTY (based on your country):
If you want to learn ALL the ins and outs of the MIGHTY first, click below to go to its in-depth review:
Even though the MIGHTY's price is totally worth it…
It's possible that at this particular moment, something smaller fits you better.
Next up a real pocket-vape with amazing flavor…
2. DaVinci IQ (Best-Tasting Pocket-Vape)
Nope. You can get a device that's 2 to 3 times smaller than the MIGHTY.
The DaVinci IQ is the 2nd most compact vape in our list.
It's more compact than the PAX 3 our #5 vape, but less compact than the MIQRO our #4 vape.
The DaVinci's compactness can be best visualized like this:
You can fully hide it inside the palm of your hand.
And here comes the best part:
Of all pocket-vapes, it produces the most impressive clouds, that keep an amazing flavor deep into your session.
Here's why this is so impressive:
With most conduction vapes, the taste of your vapor gets worse after 3-4 hits. And while the PAX 3 (#5 on the list) did a good job increasing this to 5-6 hits (before your flavor worsens)…
The DaVinci IQ keeps an amazing flavor deep into the end of your session.
It's the best-tasting conduction vape on the market.
It produces almost the same quality of vapor (flavor and smoothness) as the MIGHTY (#1) and CRAFTY(#9). It's still behind the Firefly 2 (#8) though!
Now, there's more the DaVinci IQ has going for it…
It's the most beautiful vape on the list and the vape that feels best in your hand.
Because of its ergonomic shape and aluminum shell, it's like this vape was made to ‘click' into your hand. What also helps a lot: it has the perfect balance between small size and a strong presence inside the palm of your hand (because of its weight).
The whole design of this vape:
- Its vapor production;
- The quality of its vapor;
- Its ergonomic shape;
- The materials used in it…
Combine all of this with its extremely small and compact size…
And you'll quickly understand why the DaVinci IQ currently is one of your best options if you're looking for a pocket-vape while you're out and about.
Click the button below to go to the best deal for the DaVinci IQ (based on your country):
If you want to learn ALL the ins and outs of the DaVinci IQ first, click below to go to its in-depth review:
Next up, something bigger and more powerful…
3. Arizer Solo II (Best Value)
And 90% will tell you it's the Arizer Solo.
The original Solo has had the perfect balance between quality and price for 5+ years.
In terms of vapor quality, it still blows many, more expensive vaporizers out of the water…
Producing very powerful clouds, which taste super-clean is something the original Arizer Solo does very well …until right before the end of your session.
That's where the flavor starts to deteriorate. But those first few draws are…heavenly.
The best part?
It's the most reliable portable vaporizer you can get.
Don't do anything crazy with it, and it will easily last you 5+ years (this is insane for a portable vaporizer).
The even better part?
Arizer recently released version 2 of this beast of a vape: the Arizer Solo II…
…and it improved literally in every area that a portable vaporizer can be rated on, but the most noteworthy improvements are:
- No flavor deterioration, tasty clouds deep into your session;
- More powerful clouds that hit you hard;
- Faster heat-up time, no time wasting;
- Better battery life (up to 20 sessions with a single charge), and;
- Precise temperature control for full control over the effects of your vapor.
It's slightly more expensive than the original Solo…
But the value of all these improvements…is worth WAY more than the slight increase in price.
I highly recommend this vaporizer, it's one of my favorites and the best value for money vaporizer you can get.
Click the button below to go to the best deal for the Arizer solo 2 (based on your country):
If you want to learn ALL the ins and outs of the Arizer Solo 2 first, click below to go to its in-depth review:
If you're looking for a true pocket-vape or just for a discreet vape…
The Arizer Solo II is too big, bulky and heavy to be called that.
The next vaporizer in the list the absolute smallest you can possibly go with portable vaporizers…
4. DaVinci MIQRO (Smallest Pocket-Vape)
The MIQRO is the absolute smallest vaporizer that you'll ever hold in your hand.
It completely disappears in the palm of your hand.
Until you hold this one in your hand, you will really have a hard time imagining how small a vape can get.
In most aspects the MIQRO is similar to its bigger brother the DaVinci IQ (#2 on the list):
- It produces impressive clouds that medicate well;
- Keeps good flavor deep into your session;
- Looks great and feels amazing in your hand (this one really ‘clicks' into your hand as well).
But there are a few major differences:
- The MIQRO has a much smaller bowl, which is great for micro-dosing or if you're a light vaper. But if you're heavy vaper or like to vape with a few people, it's quite annoying to have to refill the bowl all the time;
- Its battery life is half of the IQ's, which means you'll get around 30 minutes of continues use;
- Its performance is a bit less consistent than the IQ's: at lower temps the potency of your vapor sometimes is lack-luster, and at higher temps, the flavor sometimes deteriorates a bit.
As you can see its small size comes at a price…
But if you're looking for the absolute smallest and most discreet portable vaporizer there is, or love to micro-dose/vape lightly…
The MIQRO is unmatched in how much power and advanced vaping technology is packed into such a small size…
PLUS it's quite a bit cheaper than its bigger brother the DaVinci IQ! Which means this really is an amazing value-for-money vape as well.
Click the button below to go to the best deal for the MIQRO (based on your country):
Next up the most reliable and sturdy pocket vape in the list…
5. PAX 3 (Most Reliable Pocket-Vape)
You're probably thinking of a small vaporizer that easily fits in your pockets.
And while the PAX 3 is slightly bigger than the DaVinci pocket vapes, it's small and compact enough to be called a real pocket vape.
Combine this with its:
- Stealthy design (no mouthpiece sticking out), and;
- Quick heat-up time (15 seconds)…
And you got yourself one of the most discreet vaporizers there is.
With the PAX 3, you will be like a vaping ninja:
Quickly get in, make the kill (vape) and jump back into the shadows.
The problem with most true pocket-vapes is their reliability. Because manufacturers cramp so much technology in such a confined space…
They usually cut corners, somewhere…
For example battery-life or durability.
Not so with the PAX 3!
If you're looking for one of the most reliable portable vaporizers…
Here's the deal:
The PAX 3 can be abused like crazy, thrown on the ground, stamped on…and it will still work like it just came out of the factory!
This is the most durable and reliable pocket-vape on the market.
Besides, you get 10 years peace of mind (warranty) and the best customer service in the vaporizer-industry.
What's the bottom line?
Get the PAX 3 if you're looking for:
- A portable, discreet and stealthy vaporizer;
- One of the most beautiful and elegant vaporizers, and/or;
- One of the most reliable portable vaporizers, with the best warranty in the industry.
Click the button below to go to the best deal for the PAX 3.
If you want to learn ALL the ins and outs of the PAX 3 first, click below to go to its in-depth review:
Next up the cheapest portable vaporizer in the list…
6. Flowermate V5S (Cheapest)
Without having to spend hundreds of dollars on a premium vaporizer.
They're simply looking for the cheapest dry herb vaporizer there is.
Well…here's the deal:
The Flowermate V5S is the cheapest you should go.
Go cheaper, and you might end up with heavy metal poisoning from toxic vapors…
Or the quality of your vapor will be so bad…that your vapor will taste like a combination of burnt popcorn and chemical fumes.
This vaporizer produces vapor of a very decent quality…
And although not the safest of vaporizers…
It's safe enough that I would have an easy time recommending it to anyone but the most health-conscious users.
A beginner's/budget vape should be very easy to use.
The Flowermate V5S perfectly fits that requirement:
It has no learning curve and is easy to maintain (as long as you really ‘maintain' it by cleaning it after every few sessions).
What's the bottom line?
It's a perfect vaporizer for beginners, anyone that wants to stay under $100 or anyone looking for a reliable and cheap backup vape.
Click the button below to go to the best deal for the Flowermate V5S (based on your country):
Next up is the vaporizer that's also called the ‘budget-MIGHTY'…
7. Boundless CFX (Sick Value)
You can't help but notice its similarity to the MIGHTY Vaporizer.
Well, it turns out:
The Boundless CFX does not only look similar to the MIGHTY…
It IS similar to the MIGHTY…in every aspect.
It's around the same size and weight…
You'll have full control over the effects of your vapor, with the same precise temperature control…
Just like the MIGHTY, the Boundless CFX is a true BEAST…
This vaporizer hits like a truck and does it with the same consistency of the MIGHTY.
But here's the kicker:
The vapor quality (purity of flavor and smoothness of vapor) is worse than that of the MIGHTY.
Because the CFX is mostly a conduction-vape…the flavor deteriorates really fast after the first few hits.
The flavor is also harsher when you get into the higher temperature ranges.
It gets better:
This vaporizer is almost as easy to use as the MIGHTY…there's no learning curve.
It does have a higher draw-resistance…which means you'll have to work harder to get those monstrous rips.
But it won't be a breaking point for the majority of vapers…only if having no draw-resistance really is one of your top priorities.
The bottom line is:
Get the Boundless CFX if you're looking for something as powerful as the MIGHTY and can live with worse flavor…but for half the price.
Click the button below to go to the best deal for the Boundless CFX (based on your country):
If you want to learn ALL the ins and outs of the Boundless CFX first, click below to go to its in-depth review:
Next up is the King of Flavor…
8. Firefly 2 (Best Flavor, Efficiency & On-Demand Vaping)
Flavor is one of the metrics that will make or break your experience.
And if you're looking for the King of Flavor…
Look no further.
The Firefly 2 will provide you with the tastiest, purest and smoothest vapor of any vaporizer.
THIS is how your herb is supposed to taste.
You know they say every strain of cannabis has its own characteristic taste?
Well, with the Firefly 2…you will be tasting every subtle little difference between the hundreds of strains.
But to get your Firefly 2 to produce proper clouds of vapor is not the easiest task.
The Firefly 2 is one of the harder vaporizers to use.
It definitely has a learning curve and the draw-resistance is high.
And even when you got it working…
The size and density of the clouds won't be impressive.
It actually is easy to use in one aspect though:
Cleaning it is super easy and quick. This vaporizer requires no deep cleaning of any sorts.
And if you're looking to get medicated with super-small amounts of herb (0.05 grams)…
Or just want to take a few quick hits without fully finishing your bowl (which is a bad idea with ANY of the other portable vaporizers in this list)…
This is all very possible with the Firefly 2.
It's one of the few vaporizers with an on-demand heating system. Which means that your herb ONLY gets heated while you're pressing the heating buttons.
This makes the Firefly 2 actually the most efficient (electronic) portable vaporizer on the market.
Click the button below to go to the best deal for the Firefly 2 (based on your country):
If you want to learn ALL the ins and outs of the Firefly 2 first, click below to go to its in-depth review:
Next up is the last portable vaporizer in our list…
9. CRAFTY Vaporizer (Small but Powerful)
You can expect the same performance from this cute little vaporizer.
Yes, the CRAFTY is cute…but extremely powerful.
It surprises anyone that tries this vape for the first time…and the first thing they ask is:
How can such a cute little thing produce these flavorful monster clouds?
I'm not sure how, but I think it has something to do with ‘German engineering‘.
It gets worse:
Apparently, ‘German engineering‘ didn't prevent the CRAFTY from being the least reliable vaporizer in this list.
The earlier versions of the CRAFTY (before 2017), have a defect rate is above average and the shelf-life of these units is estimated at around 100-150 hours of use.
This is much lower than you would expect from such a pricey vaporizer.
The biggest culprit here is the battery: it just seems to die after 100-150 hours.
It gets better:
The latest 2017 models are much more reliable. But you have to make absolutely sure you get the latest 2017 model (our recommended dealers sell only the latest models).
Its small size also comes with a price…
Its battery life sucks (40-50 minutes of continues use before recharge).
What's the bottom line?
The CRAFTY is one hell of a vaporizer. It’s small, pocketable, produces vapor of an extremely good quality and is easy to use…
But its battery-life isn't the best and you HAVE to make sure you get the latest 2017 model.
If it didn't have any reliability issues and the battery was better…it would've actually taken the number 1 spot.
Click the button below to go to the best deal for the CRAFTY (based on your country):
If you want to learn ALL the ins and outs of the CRAFTY first, click below to go to its in-depth review:
Portable Dry Herb Vaporizer Buyer's Guide: How to Choose One?
While there are many metrics a dry herb vaporizer can be rated on, vaporizers also have ‘objective' characteristics which simply ‘are'.
These objective characteristics cannot be rated, but have a large influence on your vaping experience.
Let me explain:
A dry herb vaporizer is either desktop or portable. If you get a desktop vaporizer, forget about vaping outside.
A session vaporizer will always be a session vaporizer and can't be used for quick on-demand hits.
If you get a sipper, don't expect huge clouds coming out of your vape.
Whether you get a sipper or a ripper, a portable or a desktop vaporizer…
One is not necessarily better than the other.
It all depends on your personal preference.
It IS important to know these categories and think about them when you choose your vaporizer.
1. Desktop vs. Portable vs. Vape Pen
This decision will be based on the locations you will be vaping.
Basically, there are only two (2) types of locations:
- Home-settings (examples: your house, your friend’s house, mom’s basement).
- Outdoors (examples: parks, festivals, clubs).
You will either be vaping:
- ONLY in home-settings;
- ONLY outdoors, or;
- BOTH in home-settings and outdoors.
1. You will be vaping ONLY in home-settings
What you should probably get:
If this is you and you don't need to be walking around at home with your vaporizer, please just go for a desktop vaporizer. The advantages of a desktop vaporizer are plenty.
And if you don't need to be mobile…
Really, the choice is easy!
2. You will be vaping ONLY outdoors (and maybe sometimes in home-settings)
What you should get:
In this case, you really can’t be bogged down by the need to have an electrical outlet nearby, thus you should get a portable dry herb vaporizer…and of the highest quality that your budget allows for.
Note: if your budget allows for a high-end portable dry herb vaporizer ($250+) and you still have at least $150 to spend, by all means, do get a desktop brother if vapor quality, long sessions and easy sharing are important to you.
3. You will be vaping BOTH in home-settings and outdoors
What you should get:
- An extremely powerful portable vaporizer like the MIGHTY.
In this case, I highly recommend getting a portable vaporizer with desktop-like performance (but is large, definitely not a pocket-vape).
So what about those vape pens…?
Vape pens are best suited for concentrates like rosin, wax, splatter or oil cartridges. If you're looking for a small vaporizer, which is even smaller than a vape pen, go for the MIQRO.
Vapor Quality: The Most Important Metric
Although the vapor quality a vaporizer produces is not really the most objective characteristic of a vaporizer…
It IS without a doubt, THE metric that will have the most decisive impact on your vaping experience.
What exactly does vapor quality mean?
Unfortunately, there is no objective widely accepted definition.
Because vapor quality is still too broad of a category we broke it down into 2 essential categories on which we rate vaporizers (more on that here):
- Potency of your vapor, and;
- Flavor of your vapor (this includes smoothness).
First of all, the main reason you’re vaping weed is most probably because of the effect it provides.
This means the potency of your vapor is important.
The more potent your vapor, the stronger you’ll feel the effects of your weed.
If your vaporizer’s potency sucks, you’ll need many hits to get medicated.
The only way you or I can test the potency of a vaporizer is in an unscientific, subjective way:
- How hard a vaporizer hits (basically the brutality of a hit and how medicated you feel);
- How big the clouds are;
- How dense the clouds are.
Taste is also something that can make or break your experience.
Vaping is like drinking wine for me at least.
I want to really relax and calmly taste and enjoy those different flavors that the Herb has to offer us.
And a vaporizer with good vapor quality makes sure your vapor tastes CLEAN and PURE.
Good vapor quality also means the vapor you inhale is smooth and not harsh like with some vaporizers. Although harsh vapor is preventable with a proper bubbler.
Here’s a list of 4 rules that will help you find a vaporizer that produces great tasting vapor:
- Convection > conduction.
- Glass-encapsulated heating element > ceramic heating element > metal heating element.
- Glass vapor path > stainless steel vapor path > plastic vapor path.
- For smooth and cool vapor look for vaporizers with either built-in cooling elements or the capacity to easily attach some sort of (water) cooling.
Note that these are general rules. There are always exceptions.
Session vs On-Demand Vaporizer
This is another important distinction you need to consider.
Session vaping means you’re going to take your time and take at least 5-10 good hits. It also means you're going to finish your bowl before you turn your vaporizer off…or waste herb. Trying to vape herb which has been inside the bowl of session vaporizer is a bad idea: it will taste horrible.
Session vaporizers have the following features:
- Take longer to heat-up;
- Heat-up once, and stay warm throughout the whole session (until you turn it off);
- Cook your herb in-between draws: usually, this means it’s best to finish your bowl in a single session (otherwise the vapor quality will drop dramatically);
- Have a large bowl;
- Are easy to share.
On-demand vaping is great if you’re the type of user who likes to take a few quick hits and put your vaporizer away, without having to worry about finishing up your bowl.
Just fill up your bowl take a few quick hits and come back later.
This is not recommended with a session-vape! You'll waste herb vaping this way with a session-vape.
An on-demand vaporizer has the following features:
- Fast heat-up time;
- Heats up every time you activate the heater, but stays cool otherwise;
- Doesn't cook your herb in-between draws: you can fill up a bowl, take a few hits and come back later;
- Has a small bowl.
Classic Examples: Firefly 2
Sipper vs Ripper
Sipping vs. ripping has to do with the amount of power you can draw from your vaporizer…
…PLUS the size and brutality of the clouds you can produce.
What it boils down to is the following:
Can you extract the compounds in your herb in a few huge and powerful rips?
Or do you need to sip slowly over a longer period of time to extract everything out of your herb?
Here are the rules to go by when choosing a sipper vs a ripper:
- The more draw-resistance a vaporizer has, the more it will be a ‘sipper’.
- The less draw-resistance a vaporizer, the more it will be a ‘ripper’.
- The more powerful the heating element, the more the vaporizers tends to be a ripper.
The best way to understand the difference is the following analogy:
With a sipper drawing will feel like sucking through a small straw and you will feel the effects of your marijuana in a more subtle controlled manner…like you would slowly sip some wine over a period of a few hours and suddenly realize you’re quite buzzed.
With a ripper, drawing will feel like sucking through a big fat bubble-tea straw and if you’re not careful the effects of your marijuana will hit you like a Boeing 747…like taking a few vodka shots in a row.
Convection vs Conduction Heating: Should You Care?
With desktop vaporizers, you only have 1 choice:
Which is great because convection really is the most preferred method of heating for 90% of vaporizer users.
- Convection vaporizers have better taste;
- Convection vaporizers are more efficient (waste less herb);
- Convection vaporizers generally are easier to use (no stirring required, no extremely fine grind required);
- It’s less smelly.
But there’s a catch.
All these’s advantages are also as much, if not more reliant on other factors such as:
- Used technology;
- Quality of engineering, and;
- Materials used.
Plus, incorporating full convection heating in portable vaporizers is quite difficult because of several reasons:
- Convection heating requires a more powerful heating element and portable vaporizers are battery powered, which obviously has its limitations compared to the electrical outlet a desktop vape can use;
- Because compactness is so important with portable vaporizers, the heating element often is located close to the bowl which leads to conduction and radiant heating after some time;
- With convection heating, you need to draw hot air into your bowl, through your herb. This means you need to draw for at least 10 seconds usually. And since most portable vaporizers have at least some draw-resistance, this can lead to frustrations for users looking for a simple and easy vaping experience.
But vaporizer technology is developing at a fast rate…
And there are some very powerful and easy to use convection and hybrid portable vaporizers.
The other side of the story, however…
Is that although conduction generally is worse in terms of taste and efficiency…
Powerful conduction-heating is much easier to incorporate into a small and compact vaporizer.
The result is that conduction or hybrid portable vaporizers, counter-intuitively, can be easier to use than pure convection portable vapes.
And even the taste of the high-end conduction vapes can be really good.
What’s the bottom line?
Even though convection is the preferred heating method, there are certain conduction vaporizers which are extremely easy to use and high-quality vaporizers providing amazing vapor quality.
But here’s the deal:
A full convection portable vaporizer like the Firefly 2 will provide you the BEST flavor imaginable.
Group vs. Solo Vaping
When choosing your vaporizer, it’s important to know if you’re going to share with friends.
Some vaporizers really only suffice for 1-2 persons.
Their bowl is just too small to accommodate large quantities of herb and their power lacks so you’ll need quite a few hits to medicated.
Other vaporizers are super-easy to share because they have such a large bowl and really pack a punch.
- Desktop vaporizers are easier to share than portable vaporizers.
Classic Example: Volcano Vaporizer
If you’re looking for a portable vaporizer that’s easy to share, you’re going to need a portable vape that:
- Has a large bowl (0,3 grams at least);
- Is very powerful;
- And is easy to use.
If you're looking for a portable vaporizer that's good for solo-use or micro-dosing, look for a vape with a:
- A small bowl;
- a sipper.
Temperature Control: Why It Matters
With vaporizers there are three (3) types of temperature control:
- Precise temperature control (control your temperature in 1-3 degree increments).
- Interval-based temperature control (control your temperature with multiple interval ranges).
- Fixed temperature (one fixed temperature).
If you really want to learn everything about vaping temperatures and how they affect your vapor, check out this article:
It will help you make a very well-considered decision about whether precise temperature control is a must for you or not.
But for now, let’s keep things simple.
You should get a vaporizer with a precise temperature control system if:
- You really want absolute control over the effects and flavor of your marijuana.
- You will vaporize (many) other herbs than marijuana.
If these statements don’t apply to you, it really doesn’t matter and an interval-based temperature control system will suffice for you. A precise temperature control system would just be a nice bonus.
If you’re efficiency-obsessive, it might not be the best idea to get a vaporizer with a fixed temperature.
If you really want to get the most out of your marijuana it’s always better to start vaping at lower temperatures and gradually increase the temperature. This way you release all the different compounds in your marijuana gradually and incrementally, based on their boiling points.
Luckily, none of the vaporizers in our portable vaporizer list have a fixed temperature.
Materials Used in Your Vaporizer: Do They Matter?
As long as you have a high-quality vaporizer, the materials used in your vaporizer won’t be THAT important for most users…
However, there are definitely some users who absolutely swear by a glass vapor path for example.
Well, glass is the BEST material for flavor preservation. Also, it’s the safest material because glass is absolutely inert (doesn’t react with anything).
However, the MIGHTY with its plastic vapor path scores higher on flavor than some vapes with a glass vapor path for example…
The bottom line is:
If you’re new to vaping, make sure you get a high-quality vaporizer and don’t worry too much about the materials.
Budget (Value for Money)
Budget is the last category because not everyone is growing a money tree in its backyard…!
With prices ranging from $80 for a low-end vaporizer like the Flowermate V5.0s to $300 for a high-end vaporizer like the MIGHTY, you really have to decide what the maximum amount is you are willing to spend on your new vaping companion.
Is the $300 MIGHTY three (3) times better than the $80 Flowermate V5S?
For some of you, it definitely will be. Others will find it way overpriced…
What I’m trying to get at is the following:
I cannot look at your financial situation and decide for you if a certain vaporizer is worth its price to you. What I recommend you to do is the following 3-step process:
- Choose a maximum amount you want to spend;
- Decide your 3 most important categories (for example a ripper that's still somewhat portable and tastes great);
- Find the vaporizer which scores highest on your most important categories, that’s within the limits of your budget.
The Bottom Line When Buying a New Vaporizer
You have to realize not everything about a vaporizer can be seen from the outside…
Let me explain with a few examples:
- Although glass is the material that's the safest and best for flavor retention in a vapor path, there are vaporizers with a plastic vapor path which score higher on both these metrics than vaporizers with a glass vapor path;
- Even though convection vaporizers generally provide better taste, there are pure conduction vaporizers that provide amazing taste;
- Although certain vaporizers can rip hard, you can also use them while sipping;
- Even though some vaporizers are great for group-use, they can also be good for solo use if you have a high tolerance.
Make sure you know whether you want a desktop or portable, a session or an on-demand vape, etc.
But do realize there are no hard rules like “convection is always better” or “glass is always better”.
You really have to decide from YOUR perspective, what would be best.
And that's exactly where you can benefit from our dry herb vaporizer reviews. We give you the full picture of a vaporizer in a quick and easy to understand manner.
If you want personalized advice for your specific situation, shoot us an email and we will give you your best options based on:
- Your budget;
- Which categories you find most important in your vaporizer (design, portability, safety, potency, flavor, efficiency, ease of use, temperature control, reliability).
If you're interested in how exactly we rates these vaporizers, click the link below:
If you're looking for a powerful stationary unit for home-use, see the following article:
If you want to learn more about vaping check out the following vaping and vaporizer guides:
- What's the Best Temperature to Vape Weed?
- Are Vaporizers Safe? A Guide on How to Avoid Health Issues
- How to Use a Vaporizer: 5 Essential Tricks to Optimize the Performance of ANY Vaporizer
If you still need a grinder for an easy way to grind your herb, check out our buyer's guide on herb grinders:
And if you want to get the best vaporizers for vaping concentrates, check out our buyer's guide on wax pens:
Lastly, if you want to connect with us, become a fan on Facebook or follow us on Instagram by clicking the links below.