However, CBD isn't the only anxiety-reducing compound that can be extracted from hemp plants. Hemp plants contain various anxiolytic cannabinoids and terpenes.
Based on experience, several studies, and well-established principles among herbalists and natural/holistic health professionals, we think that combining other hemp-derived cannabinoids and terpenes with CBD will result in a better chance to relieve anxiety and/or depression.
Our list of CBD oils for anxiety, therefore, consists mostly of ‘full-spectrum' CBD oils.
A small percentage of CBD users will be sensitive to the cannabinoid ‘THC' or will be subjected to regular drug tests. For those, we have listed a high-quality THC-free option.
Quickly go to…
#1. Receptra Naturals Seriously Relax (Best Formulation for Anxiety)
Receptra Naturals Seriously Relax Tincture 25mg/Dose
Pros and Cons
- Best CBD Tincture for Anxiety
- Besides CBD, loads of other cannabinoids and terpenes
- Added Lavender, Passionflower, Limonene, Lime, and Ginger
- Looks pricey, but more effective than most other products
When it comes to CBD tinctures that contain a wide variety of anxiety-reducing cannabinoids and terpenes…Receptra Naturals Seriously Relax makes it to the top of the list.
Besides CBD, this tincture contains high concentrations of other hemp-derived anti-anxiety compounds:
- Cannabichromene, or ‘CBC' (a cannabinoid);
- Limonene (a terpene);
- Terpinene (a terpene), and;
- Humulene (a terpene).
Why do I stress the fact that these are hemp-derived compounds?
While adding other types of non-hemp-derived anti-anxiety agents to CBD products makes them more effective, they won't make the anti-anxiety effects of CBD more effective.
CBC, Limonene, Terpinene, and Humulene all come from the same plant as CBD and therefore have a high chance of producing synergistic effects, increasing the anti-anxiety effects of CBD.
That being said, Receptra Naturals Seriously Relax is bolstered with even more anti-anxiety compounds.
And while these don't come from the hemp plants the CBD is extracted from, they are all completely natural and plant-based.
Some of these compounds include:
- Lime, and;
Combine these compounds with a high-quality full-spectrum CBD-extract, and you get a potent cocktail of compounds that have a high chance of relieving anxiety and/or depression.
- Receptra Naturals 15% off coupon code: Herbonaut
Next up …
#2. R+R Medicinals Tincture (Best Value for Anxiety)
R+R Medicinals 2500mg Full Spectrum Tincture
Pros and Cons
- True full-spectrum product with many cannabinoids and terpenes
- Best value for money CBD oil
- Produced from organically cultivated Hemp in Colorado (USDA Organic certified)
- Relatively new brand (may have inconsistent cannabinoid- and terpene-profiles across batches)
Besides Receptra Naturals, there are no CBD brands that have a specific formulation for anxiety relief. That being said, any CBD oil that contains a high concentration of CBD…
Plus many other anxiety-relieving cannabinoids and terpenes is THE foundation of an effective anxiety-relieving CBD product.
R+R Medicinals provides exactly this type of tincture, and here comes the best part:
It does so at a much lower price point than any other CBD brand I’ve come across. Their 2500mg tincture contains 9.3% of CBD. With a single dropper, you're taking 83mg of CBD + 8,3mg of other cannabinoids and terpenes. If you need very high doses of CBD before you feel its anxiolytic effects, this tincture is the most straightforward choice.
When it comes to CBD oils for anxiety you get the most bang for your buck in terms of CBD with R+R Medicinals Tincture.
For one dollar ($1), you get 25.7mg of CBD and 4,2mg of other hemp-derived cannabinoids and terpenes. When it comes to effective anxiety-relieving CBD products, you won’t be able to find better value for your money.
Looking at the amount of CBD you get in a single drop, this is also the second strongest CBD oil on the list.
What’s the bottom line?
If you’re looking for the most affordable option while having a very good chance of relieving feelings of anxiety, definitely give R+R Medicinals a try:
Next up …
#3. NanoCraft CBD Gold Series (Best THC-Free)
NanoCraft 3000mg CBD Oil Drops – Gold Series Tincture
Pros and Cons
- Although THC-free, really good cannabinoid-profile
- High levels of CBD, CBC, CBG, and CBN
- One of the most potent products from a CBD/ml perspective
- Pricey in terms of CBD per dollar when you look at the total price of the product
- No terpene test
Check current price at:
Price comparison to averages
Even though THC-levels in full-spectrum CBD oils are always below 0.3% and you won’t experience any major psychoactive effects with such oils…If for whatever reason you don’t want to ingest ANY THC inside your body, you can’t take any full-spectrum CBD oil. Full-spectrum CBD products always contain some THC.
Here are some reasons why you might want to avoid THC:
- You are regularly subjected to drug-tests. Drug-tests always screen for THC.
- You have a sensitivity towards THC. Even though THC-levels in full-spectrum CBD products are very low, if you have a sensitivity towards THC, it’s best that you avoid these products, especially when it comes to anxiety. Taking high doses of THC has been associated with increased anxiety.
- You don’t believe THC has any beneficial effects for you. Even though studies indicate that CBD could be more effective when taken with other hemp-derived compounds including THC, there are no clinical studies that show this is the case when it comes to anxiety.
These are just some of the reasons that we thought of, it could be that you have an even different reason as to why you want to avoid THC inside your CBD product.
Whatever the reason, NanoCraft CBD Gold Series is currently our highest-rated THC-free CBD oil for anxiety.
Even though this oil doesn’t contain the full spectrum of hemp-derived cannabinoids and terpenes …
It contains more hemp-derived cannabinoids than just CBD, plus it contains some hemp-derived terpenes.
And when we look at the strength of their strongest oil, we can see it’s a highly potent oil that contains 3000mg of CBD and comes with a CBD-percentage of 9.7%.
If you’re looking for a THC-free CBD oil for anxiety, this is the one you should get:
Next up …
#4. NuLeaf Naturals (Best Customer-Rated)
NuLeaf Naturals Full Spectrum Hemp CBD Oil 900mg (60mg/mL)
It comes as no surprise: Full-spectrum CBD oils that come from highly transparent CBD manufacturers dominate our lists of best CBD oils.
And when we’re talking about these types of oils, NuLeaf Naturals full-spectrum CBD oil is one that can’t ever be ignored.
When we look at customer reviews, this is the highest-rated CBD oil that we have ever come across.
In 6 years and 20.000+ reviews, NuLeaf Naturals CBD oil has gotten an average rating of 4.9 out of 5 stars.
When you look at NuLeaf Naturals’ third-party lab-test reports, you can see why.
This CBD oil contains high concentrations of CBD, with their strongest bottle containing 4850 mg of CBD and a CBD-percentage of 5.93% …
Plus, it contains many other cannabinoids like THC, CBC, and CBG, and also hemp-derived terpenes like beta-caryophyllene and alpha-humulene. In addition to CBD, some of these compounds are associated with anti-anxiety/anti-depressant effects as well.
So while NuLeaf Naturals CBD oil doesn’t contain any non-hemp-derived anti-anxiety/anti-depressant compounds, it contains the full spectrum of hemp-derived cannabinoids and terpenes that are associated with anti-anxiety/anti-depressant effects.
Add to this that this oil is made from organic hemp and doesn’t contain ANY additives (it’s the purest hemp-extract on the list), and you’ll quickly understand why we rate it so high.
- NuLeaf Naturals 20% off coupon code: herbonaut
Up next …
#5. Charlotte’s Web Original Formula (Best Seed-to-Shelf)
Pros and Cons
- One of the best full-spectrum products
- Charlotte's Web controls the complete production process, including how the hemp plants are grown
- Consistent cannabinoid- and terpene-profiles between batches
- No terpene test
Check current price at:
Price comparison to averages
When it comes to CBD products, there’s one metric that no one talks about: Transparency.
The transparency of a CBD oil manufacturer is extremely important.
We want to know exactly how they produce their oil because when it comes to CBD oil and manufacturing processes, there are some very real contamination risks, starting with planting a hemp seed inside soil.
If this soil is contaminated with heavy metals, for example, the hemp plant will absorb these heavy metals and during the extraction process, these heavy metal particles might end up inside your oil.
Even though all CBD oils on this list prove they’re completely free of contaminants …
If you want an extra layer of assurance, Charlotte’s Web is a producer that literally controls the whole manufacturing process from planting the seed to shelving the final product.
During its manufacturing-cycle, a bottle of Charlotte's Web CBD oil is subject to 20 different quality control tests.
Of course, this wouldn’t be enough to be listed on a list of highly-rated CBD oils for anxiety relief …
Charlotte’s Web CBD oil is a true full-spectrum CBD oil that contains a wide variety of hemp-derived cannabinoids and terpenes in high concentrations.
Their ‘Original Formula’ is better in that regard as it’s ethanol-extracted. Ethanol-extraction is one of the most effective extraction methods for extracting especially terpenes from hemp.
- Charlotte's Web 15% off coupon code: HERBONAUT
How We Rate CBD Tinctures for Anxiety and Depression
Summarized, here’s what we’re looking for when we’re looking for a good CBD oil for anxiety:
- It should contain a full spectrum of hemp-derived cannabinoids and terpenes or as many as possible, and/or;
- It should contain one, or more non-hemp-derived anti-anxiety/depressant compounds, and;
- It should be easy to ingest above-average concentrations of CBD with it, this means a CBD concentration of at least 2%.
To learn exactly how we rate CBD products, please read our CBD products rating system.
Frequently Asked Questions About Using CBD Oil for Anxiety
How to Use CBD Oil for Anxiety/Depression?
Taking CBD oil or tinctures for anxiety should be taken as for any other purpose.
Orally ingesting CBD tinctures consists of two parts:
- Putting the drops under your tongue for 30-60 seconds (the sublingual method), and;
- Swallowing the drops after it.
If you follow these steps, the CBD will get absorbed in two ways:
- Through the mucous membranes beneath your tongue, avoiding the gastrointestinal tract, and;
- Through the gastrointestinal tract itself.
Since CBD isn't very well absorbed through the gastrointestinal tract, we highly recommend using the sublingual method before.
When to Take?
There are no official guidelines, but in my experience, taking CBD oil in the morning, right after breakfast, works best for promoting feelings of calmness and relief.
How Much Should I Take?
Since CBD oil is not a medicine in the traditional sense, there are no official dosage guidelines.
Generally, we recommend starting with low doses and work your way up gradually. Start with the recommended dose from the manufacturer for a single serving.
Studies that looked at the effects of CBD on anxiety found results with relatively large doses of 300-600mg of CBD. Keep in mind these were purified CBD products and you might need a much smaller dose if you use a high-quality full-spectrum oil like the ones on our list.
When Can I Expect Results?
CBD oil is not a medicine and it's not certain whether it will provide you with any relief for your anxiety or depression.
What Are The Side Effects?
Taking CBD oil is not without risks. The biggest risks related to using CBD products are related to their potential interactions with traditional prescription medication.
CBD can interfere with the metabolization of various prescription drugs. If you're on prescription drugs and want to use CBD products for anxiety, please consult with your doctor first.
Other important risks related to taking CBD products are related to quality control. Products can be contaminated with heavy metals and pesticides, which if ingested over long periods of time, may worsen your anxiety symptoms.
If you want to learn more about preventing potential health risks related to CBD-use, click the link below:
Learn More More About CBD
How to Use CBD Oil for Anxiety: A review of studies that looked at CBD's mechanism of action in relation to its anxiety-reducing effects and experimental studies that looked at the effects of CBD on anxiety in humans.
The Best CBD Oils: A list of our most recommended CBD oil brands, includes full-spectrum CBD oils, broad-spectrum CBD oils, and CBD isolates. All are 3th-party lab-tested to confirm they're contaminant-free and contain high levels of CBD.
The Best CBD Gummies: A list of our recommended CBD gummies. All are 3th-party lab-tested to confirm they're contaminant-free and contain high levels of CBD.
The Best CBD Vape Oils: A list of our recommended CBD vape oils. All are 3th-party lab-tested to confirm they're contaminant-free and contain high levels of CBD.
The Benefits of CBD Oil: A review of over 100 studies that found potential health benefits associated with CBD.
CBD Oil and Pain: A review of studies that looked at CBD's mechanism of action in relation to its pain-reducing effects and experimental/case studies that looked at the effects of CBD on pain in humans.
CBD and Terpenes: An exploration of the relationship between CBD and terpenes and why there's a strong theoretical foundation of combining both.
CBD Isolate vs Full-Spectrum: A deep-dive into the different types of CBD products: CBD isolate, broad-spectrum, and full-spectrum, and their pros and cons for you as a CBD products consumer.
- Hypnotic and antiepileptic effects of cannabidiol. Carlini EA, Cunha JM. Journal of Clinical Pharmacology (1981).
- Effectiveness of Cannabidiol Oil for Pediatric Anxiety and Insomnia as Part of Posttraumatic Stress Disorder: A Case Report. Scott Shannon. The Permanente Journal (2016).
- Anxiolytic-like effects of inhaled linalool oxide in experimental mouse anxiety models. Flávia Negromonte Souto-Maiora et al. The Journal of Pharmacology, Biochemstry, and Behavior (2011).
- Medicinal Properties of Cannabinoids, Terpenes, and Flavonoids in Cannabis, and Benefits in Migraine, Headache, and Pain: An Update on Current Evidence and Cannabis Science. Baron, E.P. Headache The Journal of Head and Face Pain (2018).
- Potential Clinical Benefits of CBD-Rich Cannabis Extracts Over Purified CBD in Treatment-Resistant Epilepsy: Observational Data Meta-analysis. Fabricio A. Pamplona, Lorenzo Rolim da Silva, and Ana Carolina Coan (2018).
- Cannabis and Cannabis Extracts: Greater Than the Sum of Their Parts? John M. McPartland DO, MS and Ethan B. Russo MD (2008).
- Taming THC: potential cannabis synergy and phytocannabinoid-terpenoid entourage effects. Ethan B. Russo MD (2011).
- Essential oil of lavender in anxiety disorders: Ready for prime time? Malcolm, B. & Tallian, K. (2017). Mental Health Clinician.
- Passionflower in the treatment of generalized anxiety: A pilot double-blind randomized controlled trial with oxazepam. Akhondzadeh, S. et al. (2001). Journal of Clinical Pharmacy and Therapeutics.
- Lemon oil vapor causes an anti-stress effect via modulating the 5-HT and DA activities in mice. Komiya M1, Takeuchi T and Harada E. (2006).
- The Effects of Ginger Extract and Diazepam on Anxiety Reduction in Animal Model. Fadaki, F., et al. (2017). Indian Journal of Pharmaceutical Education and Research.