Today you’re getting a list of the best CBD oils for anxiety and depression that you can currently buy.
We reviewed over 50 samples by testing them on metrics like potency, effects, and taste.
How We Rate CBD Oils for Anxiety and Depression
For a CBD oil to be considered for this list, the brand needs to be fully transparent about:
- The final biochemical composition of the oil, including ingredients, cannabinoid-profiles, and the absence of contaminants like heavy metals, pesticides, and residual solvents.
- The type of plants they use to produce their CBD oil, where they’re grown, and how they’re grown.
- The manufacturing process, including extraction methods and solvents used.
While CBD is the main compound of CBD oil, studies3–4 indicate that some other hemp-derived compounds have anxiety-reducing effects as well. Plus, some researchers think that these other hemp-derived compounds act synergistically to CBD and enhance CBD’s beneficial effects.
Based on scientific literature5–7, we have every reason to believe that ‘full-spectrum CBD oils’, that contain a wide variety of hemp-derived cannabinoids and terpenes, have a better chance of improving your anxiety and depression than CBD products that only contain CBD.
Besides hemp-derived compounds, a CBD oil for anxiety or depression can contain other anxiety-improving compounds like lavender or passionflower.
Combining CBD with other anti-anxiety/depressant compounds that don’t come from the hemp plant but are beneficial nonetheless …
Could be more effective than taking a CBD oil that ‘only’ contains hemp-derived compounds. Nature has provided us with many anti-anxiety/depressant compounds, after all.
Studies also have indicated that CBD’s anti-anxiety effect occurs mostly when taken in a relatively high dose. Therefore, if you’re looking to use CBD oil specifically for anxiety relief, you want an oil that contains above-average concentrations of CBD.
Summarized, here’s what we’re looking for when we’re looking for a good CBD oil for anxiety:
- It should contain a full spectrum of hemp-derived cannabinoids and terpenes or as many as possible, and/or;
- It should contain one, or more non-hemp-derived anti-anxiety/depressant compounds, and;
- It should contain above-average concentrations of CBD (we maintain above 5%).
Now you understand what makes one CBD oil better for anxiety or depression than others, let’s get to the list.
The Best CBD Oils for Anxiety and Depression
Quickly go to…
1. Receptra Naturals Serious Relax (Best Overall)
When you look at the biochemical composition of a Receptra Naturals CBD oil, you’ll see that:
- It contains a wider variety of hemp-derived cannabinoids and terpenes than most other oils, and;
- It contains these cannabinoids and terpenes in higher concentrations than most other CBD oils.
When we’re talking about ‘full-spectrum’ CBD products, Receptra Naturals products are as full-spectrum as it gets.
While the cannabinoid-profile of other high-quality full-spectrum oils is similar to Receptra’s …
The terpene-profile is where this oil excels compared to others. With a terpene-content of 0.6% and a wider variety of terpenes than almost any other CBD oil, this oil ranks highest when we look at the most important characteristic that a good CBD oil for anxiety should have:
- It should contain a full spectrum of hemp-derived cannabinoids and terpenes or as many as possible.
When we look at the second-most important characteristic a good CBD oil for anxiety should have:
- It should contain one, or more non-hemp-derived anti-anxiety/depressant compounds
Again, this oil excels.
Receptra Naturals Serious Relax contains different non-hemp-derived, but natural anti-anxiety/depressant compounds like:
- Lime, and;
Combine these compounds with the full spectrum of hemp-derived cannabinoids, terpenes and an above-average concentration of CBD that you get with this oil, and you get a powerful product that makes the best case for reducing feelings of anxiety.
Next up …
2. R+R Medicinals Tincture (Best Value CBD Oil for Anxiety)
That being said, high quality and full-spectrum CBD oil that contains a high concentration of CBD, plus many other hemp-derived cannabinoids and terpenes …
Is all you really need to experience the benefits of CBD for anxiety.
Well, R+R Medicinals provides exactly this type of oil, and here comes the best part:
It does so at a much lower price point than any other CBD brand I’ve come across.
This is the most affordable CBD oil on the list. Not only that, but R+R Medicinals is the most affordable CBD oil that still can be qualified as:
- Premium quality, and;
- Truly full-spectrum.
When it comes to CBD oils for anxiety you get the most bang for your buck in terms of CBD with R+R Medicinals Tincture.
With a price of $1.15 per average dose of 25 mg. of CBD, you won’t be able to find better value for your money.
With their strongest tincture that contains 2500mg of CBD, you get a whopping CBD-percentage of 9.3%.
Looking at the amount of CBD you get in a single drop, this is also the second strongest CBD oil on the list.
What’s the bottom line?
If you’re looking to get the most affordable oil, while having a very good chance of relieving feelings of anxiety and/or worry, R+R Medicinals is the oil you should try:
Next up …
3. NanoCraft CBD Gold Series (Best THC-Free CBD Oil for Anxiety)
If for whatever reason you don’t want to ingest ANY THC inside your body, you can’t take any full-spectrum CBD oil. Full-spectrum CBD oil always contains some THC.
Here are some reasons why you might want to avoid THC:
- You are regularly subjected to drug-tests. Drug-tests always screen for THC.
- You have a sensitivity towards THC. Even though THC-levels in full-spectrum CBD products are very low, if you have a sensitivity towards THC, it’s best that you avoid these products, especially when it comes to anxiety. Taking high doses of THC has been associated with increased anxiety.
- You don’t believe THC has any beneficial effects for you. Even though studies indicate that CBD could be more effective when taken with other hemp-derived compounds including THC, there are no clinical studies that show this is the case when it comes to anxiety.
These are just some of the reasons that we thought of, it could be that you have an even different reason as to why you want to avoid THC inside your CBD product.
Whatever the reason, NanoCraft CBD Gold Series is currently rated as our best THC-free CBD oil for anxiety.
Even though this oil doesn’t contain the full spectrum of hemp-derived cannabinoids and terpenes …
It contains more hemp-derived cannabinoids than just CBD, plus it contains some hemp-derived terpenes.
And when we look at the strength of their strongest oil, we can see it’s a highly potent oil that contains 3000mg of CBD and comes with a CBD-percentage of 9.7%.
If you’re looking for a THC-free CBD oil for anxiety, this is the one you should get:
Next up …
4. NuLeaf Naturals (Best Customer-Rated CBD Oil for Anxiety)
It comes as no surprise:
Full-spectrum CBD oils that come from highly transparent CBD manufacturers dominate our lists of best CBD oils.
And when we’re talking about these types of oils, NuLeaf Naturals full-spectrum CBD oil is one that can’t ever be ignored.
When we look at customer reviews, this is the highest-rated CBD oil that we have ever come across.
In over 6 years and with close to 20.000 reviews, NuLeaf Naturals CBD oil has gotten an average rating of 4.9 out of 5 stars.
When you look at NuLeaf Naturals’ third-party lab-test reports, you can see why.
This CBD oil contains high concentrations of CBD, with their strongest bottle containing 4850 mg of CBD and a CBD-percentage of 5.93% …
Plus, it contains many other hemp-derived cannabinoids like THC, CBC, and CBG, and also hemp-derived terpenes like beta-caryophyllene and alpha-humulene. In addition to CBD, some of these compounds are associated with anti-anxiety/anti-depressant effects as well.
So while NuLeaf Naturals CBD oil doesn’t contain any non-hemp-derived anti-anxiety/anti-depressant compounds, it contains the full spectrum of hemp-derived cannabinoids and terpenes that are associated with anti-anxiety/anti-depressant effects.
Add to this that this oil is made from organic hemp and doesn’t contain ANY additives (it’s the purest hemp-extract on the list), and you’ll quickly understand why we rate it so high.
Up next …
5. Charlotte’s Web Original Formula (Best Seed-to-Shelf CBD Oil for Anxiety)
The transparency of a CBD oil manufacturer is extremely important.
We want to know exactly how they produce their oil because when it comes to CBD oil and manufacturing processes, there are some very real contamination risks, starting with planting a hemp seed inside soil.
If this soil is contaminated with heavy metals, for example, the hemp plant will absorb these heavy metals and during the extraction process, these heavy metal particles might end up inside your oil.
Even though all CBD oils on this list prove they’re completely free of contaminants …
If you want an extra layer of assurance, Charlotte’s Web is a producer that literally controls the whole manufacturing process from planting the seed to shelving the final product.
During the manufacturing process, a bottle of Charlotte's Web CBD oil is subject to 20 (!) different quality control tests before it reaches you.
Of course, this wouldn’t be enough to be listed on a list of highly-rated CBD oils for anxiety relief …
Charlotte’s Web CBD oil is a true full-spectrum CBD oil that contains a wide variety of hemp-derived cannabinoids and terpenes in high concentrations.
Their ‘Original Formula’ is better in that regard as it’s ethanol-extracted. Ethanol-extraction is one of the most effective extraction methods for extracting especially terpenes from hemp.
Frequently Asked Questions About Using CBD Oil for Anxiety
How to Use CBD Oil for Anxiety/Depression?
CBD tinctures should always be used sublingually. This means take a dropper (or whatever the recommended dose is) and put it under your tongue for 60 seconds at least, after that you can swallow it.
This way, you avoid the ‘first-pass effect’.
The first-pass effect refers to the metabolization of drugs and other substances before they reach the bloodstream. The metabolization of CBD before it reaches the bloodstream leads to a loss of potency.
When you take CBD oil sublingually a significant part of the CBD will be directly absorbed into your bloodstream through the mucous membranes beneath your tongue.
Learn more about using CBD oil by clicking the link below:
- How to Use and Dose CBD Oil: A review of over 40 studies that (among other things) looked at the effects and potency of CBD based on methods of use and dosages.
When to Take CBD Oil for Anxiety/Depression?
In my experience, taking CBD oil in the morning on an empty stomach works best for promoting feelings of calmness and relief.
How Much CBD Oil Should I Take for Anxiety/Depression?
We always recommend using the recommended dosage from the manufacturer. Usually, they’ve tested their products and have data from many customers.
That said, when it comes to pure hemp-extracts that only contain hemp-derived compounds, I always experience great effects with a dose that equals 25 mg. of CBD.
When Can I Expect Results?
In my experience, IF CBD oil works for you, you should experience benefits for your anxiety or depression within one hour of taking CBD oil. If you initially don't experience any relief, we recommend increasing the dose by 50%. This means that if you took a full dropper before, now take one and a half dropper.
What Are CBD Oil's Side Effects?
Taking CBD oil can produce various side effects, ranging from minor ones like fatigue to severe ones like drug interactions.
CBD oil can also be contaminated with toxins that are absorbed by hemp plants during their cultivation. If you ingest these contaminants over a longer period of time, you risk severe side effects that can compromise your health.
Learn all the health risks associated with using CBD oil and how you can avoid them here by clicking the link below:
Learn More More About CBD
CBD Oil and Anxiety: A review of studies that looked at CBD's mechanism of action in relation to its anxiety-reducing effects and experimental studies that looked at the effects of CBD on anxiety in humans.
The Best CBD Oils: A list of our most recommended CBD oil brands, includes full-spectrum CBD oils, broad-spectrum CBD oils, and CBD isolates. All are 3th-party lab-tested to confirm they're contaminant-free and contain high levels of CBD.
The Best CBD Gummies: A list of our recommended CBD gummies. All are 3th-party lab-tested to confirm they're contaminant-free and contain high levels of CBD.
The Best CBD Vape Oils: A list of our recommended CBD vape oils. All are 3th-party lab-tested to confirm they're contaminant-free and contain high levels of CBD.
The Benefits of CBD Oil: A review of over 100 studies that found potential health benefits associated with CBD.
CBD Oil and Pain: A review of studies that looked at CBD's mechanism of action in relation to its pain-reducing effects and experimental/case studies that looked at the effects of CBD on pain in humans.
CBD and Terpenes: An exploration of the relationship between CBD and terpenes and why there's a strong theoretical foundation of combining both.
CBD Isolate vs Full-Spectrum: A deep-dive into the different types of CBD products: CBD isolate, broad-spectrum, and full-spectrum, and their pros and cons for you as a CBD products consumer.
- Hypnotic and antiepileptic effects of cannabidiol. Carlini EA, Cunha JM. Journal of Clinical Pharmacology (1981).
- Effectiveness of Cannabidiol Oil for Pediatric Anxiety and Insomnia as Part of Posttraumatic Stress Disorder: A Case Report. Scott Shannon. The Permanente Journal (2016).
- Anxiolytic-like effects of inhaled linalool oxide in experimental mouse anxiety models. Flávia Negromonte Souto-Maiora et al. The Journal of Pharmacology, Biochemstry, and Behavior (2011).
- Medicinal Properties of Cannabinoids, Terpenes, and Flavonoids in Cannabis, and Benefits in Migraine, Headache, and Pain: An Update on Current Evidence and Cannabis Science. Baron, E.P. Headache The Journal of Head and Face Pain (2018).
- Potential Clinical Benefits of CBD-Rich Cannabis Extracts Over Purified CBD in Treatment-Resistant Epilepsy: Observational Data Meta-analysis. Fabricio A. Pamplona, Lorenzo Rolim da Silva, and Ana Carolina Coan (2018).
- Cannabis and Cannabis Extracts: Greater Than the Sum of Their Parts? John M. McPartland DO, MS and Ethan B. Russo MD (2008).
- Taming THC: potential cannabis synergy and phytocannabinoid-terpenoid entourage effects. Ethan B. Russo MD (2011).
- Essential oil of lavender in anxiety disorders: Ready for prime time? Malcolm, B. & Tallian, K. (2017). Mental Health Clinician.
- Passionflower in the treatment of generalized anxiety: A pilot double-blind randomized controlled trial with oxazepam. Akhondzadeh, S. et al. (2001). Journal of Clinical Pharmacy and Therapeutics.
- Lemon oil vapor causes an anti-stress effect via modulating the 5-HT and DA activities in mice. Komiya M1, Takeuchi T and Harada E. (2006).
- The Effects of Ginger Extract and Diazepam on Anxiety Reduction in Animal Model. Fadaki, F., et al. (2017). Indian Journal of Pharmaceutical Education and Research.